Monday, February 16, 2009

My Scary Parenting Moment

My birthday was really going well. I was spending time with the family, we had been to church and I got my new Wii Fit! Ryan's mom and step-father were over for dinner and we were getting ready to order it.

And then the scariest thing happened. I had taken Cole upstairs to get him a pair of pajamas. I had a laundry basket sitting in the hallway by the stairs. I set Cole down by the bathroom which is a few feet from the stairs and held him with one arm and leg while I grabbed the pajamas out of the basket. As I did that, he went for the stairs quickly and like superman, went tumbling down them, from top to bottom. 

I was terrified seeing that happen to him and started running down the stairs. Ryan was running to him at the bottom and he was crying. We called 911 and took him to the hospital. He had no visible cuts or bruises besides one on his forehead and a small one on the top of his head. 

After four hours of observation and with him acting just like himself, we were sent home. Thank goodness he was OK. But the moral of the story is - even if you think you'll only need one minute to grab something, always shut the gate. Thankfully, we do have a gate at the top of the stairs. But unfortunately, I didn't use it last night.

My little man was checked again today by the pediatrician and he is perfect. So please take my advice and remember to be present with your children, shut the gates, make sure everything is child proof and make sure they are safe. 

Whew, it was a rough night. 

post signature

3 comments:

Ter said...

whew! thank goodness he was okay!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I am glad everything was fine though!

erindelanty said...

oh that must have been so scary. i let bridget completely take a header off the bed once and i remember how awful of a feeling it was and it also involved a laundry basket and clothes! :) maybe that's a sign we shouldn't ever do laundry again!

glad he was alright, i'm sure that was so scary!