
My how time flies when you have a newborn! Sorry for the delay in posting but I've been quite busy with my new little guy and his super big sister. Cole will be six weeks tomorrow so I thought I should post a little bit about his arrival!
It all started the morning of Sunday, May 18. I woke up and got Evie and I ready for church like any other Sunday. However, I noticed that something seemed to be "leaking" so I thought I'd lay down for a little bit, forgo church and see what happened. I continued to have the same leaking (sorry to be graphic) and decided to call the doctor. After all, I was only a few days away from my due date and induction.
The doctor said that I could have a tear in the sac and that I should come in to the hospital to be checked out. So off we went, Evie and I, driving to the hospital. I was pretty convinced they were going to tell me I was fine and send me home again. We get to the hospital, go to the labor and delivery floor and get checked in. I get in the gown, into the bed and get ready for the doc to come. Keep in mind, I'm really hoping to stay at this point. I was ready to deliver the little guy and really didn't want to go back home and wait a few more days.
Ryan was at work and arrived shortly before the resident came in. She checks me and much to my dismay says "the sac is fully intact...you are not leaking." :(
So I casually say, well, I'm coming back in Thursday to be induced but I'd be willing to stay today and do it if I can. She tells me she is going to call my doc and see and at that point, I'm thinking I'm going home. About 15 minutes later, she comes back and says...."He said we can keep you and induce you today!"
I'm totally relieved and excited. I call the family and put everyone on alert. My mom comes up to watch Evie. My Dad is driving back from Sikeston. My sister gets her family and is driving up from Cape. Ryan's Mom is on alert to come in later in the day and Ryan's dad in NY is also notified of Cole's impending arrival.
So here it goes - The doc comes in and breaks my water at 1 p.m. At this point, I'm gushing everywhere. (Do you like that visual?) And then Ryan says to me "You know what's funny...earlier you thought you were leaking but you were in fact just peeing on yourself!" Funny guy, I tell you.
2 p.m. - I'm having some contractions and the doc gives me potocin to get them to come quicker. About 2:30, I'm starting to feel them. At this point, my sister and her family are there along with my mom and dad. Ryan's sister, Robyn, calls and says that her friend Heather who is a photographer would like to come and take pics of the delivery (tasteful pics). As a part of her business, she is now doing labor and delivery shots along with maternity shots and newborn shots. She's wanting to do it for free to build her portfolio...SWEET! So she arrives about 3 and I tell you, we got the best pics!
3 p.m. - Wow, contractions are really picking up. I have already told my doc that I don't want drugs or the epidural if I can avoid it but about this time, I'm second guessing that decision and if I can make it. With Claire, I didn't have the epidural and I felt exactly when to push and the labor went quick. With Evie, I had the epidural, couldn't feel a thing and it delayed my labor and her birth by several hours (think many, many, many hours). So I wanted to avoid that.
3:45 - Seriously, how can women really do this without drugs...that's just crazy. The nurse checks me and I'm only a 5. I can't take it anymore and I scream at Ryan...I have to have the epidural. Get the doc in here. He tells me - you can do it Sarah, you don't need it. I'm thinking in my head - are you kidding me...get the drugs.
4 p.m. - So the doc comes and I tell him that I have to have the epidural. He asks me if I'm sure and I say HELL YES. He says let me check you and see where you are at. And presto - I'm at a 10!! Ready to push.
He asks me If I think I can make it and I ask him how much longer do I have to suffer this pain. He tells me not much longer, the baby is close, just some pushing to get him out. Ok, I think, I can do this (maybe) and then realize that my contractions are so close together, I couldn't sit still for a minute to get it anyways.
So after some pushing and a lot of pain - Cole was born 18 minutes later at 4:18 weighing in at 7.5 and 20 inches long. He WAS and still IS perfect!
Ryan cried hard and I cried harder...such a miracle and such a blessing for us to have another child who is healthy. I'm also thinking about my sweet Claire and thinking of everything I missed with her and the stark contrast between her delivery and Cole's. Her delivery was emotionally painful and very quiet. When she arrived, it was complete silence followed by tears. When Cole arrived it was tears of Joy and pure excitement. The minute he cried, I was so relieved. My little boy had made it safe and sound.
I have no idea how babies make it with everything that can go wrong but he is here and that's all that matters. I'm forever grateful for Cole and Evie and the blessings they have given me. And I'm thankful to Claire for sending her sweet little brother and watching over us every single step.






2 comments:
This was an AWESOME post. I feel like an awful friend that I didn't know how KICK ASS you are that you did that sans drugs. But I love that you screamed for 'em at first. There ain't no shame, sister. I loved reading your perfect birth story. Thank you for posting it, I know you have NOT time to do so!
I'm so glad everything went well, and I am so sorry for my delay in welcoming Cole!
Post a Comment